Thursday, August 26, 2010

Chapter 9 Something Concrete

So what do we find here in Chapter 9? A very firm and concrete suggestion as to what we can do to further our progress along the path to Holiness. We can look dispassionately and objectively at our habits. We are challenged on page 130 to do so, and to separate them in to those that help us and those that hinder us. All of our habits are, in actuality, taking us down the path to becoming the best version of ourselves (Holiness) or down the opposite path away from God and away from what we were created to be.

What do you think of when you hear or see the word “concrete?” I think of something firm and solid, something that in this context I can hang my hat on and rely upon as true. But thinking a little deeper, it is also something that can be chopped up and removed. With enough effort it can be removed at will and replaced with something else. It is something that started out in a totally different state of being, composed of multiple elements and concrete is almost, but not quite, infinitely moldable in to most anything. Even boats have been made of concrete!

And so it is with our habits. How many of you actually took the time to “Take a few minutes right now. Put this book down. Find a piece of paper and write down a list of your habits. Think about it.”? It is a challenge, and a concrete way for us to “do something” in response to this book instead of simply reading and thinking, “well, isn’t that neat” or “I think that is true (or false?)” or simply reacting on an emotional level to what Kelly is saying in the book.

I must confess that had I not been charged with putting together the blog post on this particular chapter I would likely have read that and said to myself “well, that sounds like a good idea, I will get to it someday….” and kept reading! But I did not keep reading. I took his suggestion and put the book down, got out a pen and paper and went to work. And it was WORK, believe me! I was reminded of preparing an examination of conscience before the sacrament of Confession.

First I had to decide what a habit is, then how to organize them and then name them individually and then decide in which direction that particular habit took me. The last part was the easiest by far. I say all of this not to discourage, but to encourage you to do this for yourself in your own particular way. What worked for me will not necessarily work for you! (His suggestion to lump them in to daily, weekly and monthly was helpful though. It helps you to get a running start.) But DO attempt to get this done as soon as you possibly can, or you will never do it!

So what does this have to do with concrete? As I looked at my habits I found some interesting things. Mainly, since becoming Catholic my habits have changed! For the better! Old habits die hard, and are, like concrete, hard to remove. But they can be changed and refashioned, just like new concrete, with fresh materials in to something more beautiful, helpful and productive than what was there before! When I looked critically at my habits, I discovered that since becoming Catholic my very state of being has changed! I am working with a different, fresh set of raw materials in the Grace that comes to me through the teachings and sacraments of the Church. When I choose to cooperate with this fully, stony hard habits are transformed and molded in to something that will bear fruit in God’s Kingdom. That is an exciting prospect.

Am I therefore, by my own efforts, transformed in the best version of myself here and now? Oh my, NO. This has shown me two things. One is that, on balance, I find that I have made some minimal progress. The other is a clearer version of just how far I still have to go on this journey! I thank God that I have the entire community of the Catholic Church to uphold and support me in this journey toward Holiness.

I will close here….this has run on long enough. I will add in the comment section some specific discoveries that I made about my own personal habits, both good and bad and I hope that you will feel comfortable enough to do the same!

Luke

3 comments:

  1. As promised, here are a couple of habits that sort of stood out as I looked at mine, both good and bad.

    Regarding habit changes for the good, one is certainly to read the Saint of the Day and to collect quotes from these for later reference. I have this come up on the office computer and I try to look at this first thing when I get in every morning. This has helped me to see the struggles and concerns of our brothers and sisters who have gone before and gives me great encouragement. Sources for this are the daily email mentioned previously (available from americancatholic.org) and there is even an iPhone app! Another source is Magnificat. In a reflection on St. Augustine from today’s Magnificat, Fr. Veras reminds us that “One of the graces of living in a time in which so many people have doubts and misconceptions about Christianity is that it challenges Christians to be more aware of why they believe what they believe. In one of his sermons, Saint Augustine warns us against looking back at past ages as if things were easier then.” Imagine that! There is much to think about in that little quote!

    Regarding “bad” habits we are, of course trying to change these, not cultivate them! Boy is there a long list here….so I will only share a couple. One is an example of backsliding. I am NOT getting regular exercise as I know that I should. This was once a habit that has fallen back to the “way back burner” so to speak. I am not taking as good a care of my own personal version of the Lord’s temple as I should be, and I am NOT the best version of myself physically. Another is an example of knowing what I should be doing based on the minimal progress that I mentioned in the blog post: not spending enough time on daily prayer and scripture study.

    So I will try to move forward on these and other habits that need correction! How about you all? Remember, confession is good for the soul and a good motivator! I think I will go out and get some exercise!

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best habits I've adopted is reading from Magnificat each morning. The combination of the daily scripture readings, prayers, brief descriptions of the Saints' lives, and the short, reflective commentaries, all in one neat little Catholic package that grounds you in the liturgical calendar, is just fantastic for me. I thank Shirley Waymouth for introducing it to me during my first RCIA class.
    The list of bad habits is far too long. It is easy to be a little despairing about the lack of change in these areas sometimes. I need to have more faith that Christ and prayer can help me. When lack of self discipline has again led me to fail, and when I am physically or emotionally fatigued, I need to turn more to Him, and really trust that He will provide the necessary strength.
    -John Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember that even our "virtuous" habits (exercise, reading, keeping a clean house, etc) are only virtuous to the degree that they help us be our best selves spiritually. Physical endurance and mental acuity can help us on that way, but they are nothing if not pointing us toward the Kingdom.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete