Monday, August 9, 2010

Chapter 4

What does it mean to be a Catholic?

As a relatively brand new Catholic discovering Catholicism for the first time, I admit that I have a difficult time articulating what exactly that means when posed the question, "Why did you become a Catholic?"

Mr. Kelly has a valid point, that Catholics all around the world are suffering from an "identity crisis", that we really don't know who we are, what we stand for, or what makes us special. Why should Catholicism stand out more than any other religion or denomination? Because Catholicism is NOT another religion or another denomination, Catholicism IS Christianity, our very life source, the heartbeat of our soul, and our purpose for living. So why are we not bursting at the seams to share such an amazing gift with the whole world?

I think at least part of this identity crisis hails back to Chapter 2 with "Minimalism". What is the LEAST I can do and get by? We've bought into the culture of our day that we just "don't have the time" to volunteer in the nursery, to teach a Sunday School class, to sing in the choir, to organize community service projects so that we can reach beyond the walls of our parishes and take the light of Christ that we receive in the Eucharist every Sunday into a world that is desperately unhappy and in desperate need of the hope only our Savior can give. The statistics are even more damning, that only 10% of the people in a church do 90% of the work, and that number is probably very generous! We refuse to give of ourselves even to each other, and then we wonder why the world does not want to be a part of who we are. And last but not least, the one no one likes to talk about... What is the LEAST amount I can give to the church and still stay in God's good graces? If we truly loved one another as Christ loves us, would we not be falling all over ourselves to serve each other and to give of our time, our resources, and our talents? If Christ put His ALL on the Cross, why are we so reluctant to put our ALL into His Bride, the Church? Every Catholic must ask the question, "What I have done today to show the love of Christ to the world around me?" Not "what I did back when...", not "what I'm going to do...", but "what have I done TODAY?"

One problem we face is that Catholics have been vilified in modern culture with false stereotypes and outright lies about what we believe, and for some reason, we hang our heads and shift our gaze rather than stand up and speak out because we are not comfortable with who we are, and many times we don't even know what we believe. Our identity does not lie in our jobs, our hobbies, or things here on earth. Our identity lies in our relationship with Christ. We are His Bride, we are His Body, and to know who we are means becoming more like Him, the-best-version-of-ourselves. Of course, the best way to know how to be like Him is to study His life, to know His Word, and to PRAY without ceasing (I Thessalonians 5:17).

The first Christians were ready to give their very lives for what they believed, and what we still believe today, that Jesus Christ died to save us all from sin and eternal damnation. They exemplified love for each other in their lives and their communities, they supported each other in sickness, in persecution, in good times and bad. Being a Christian was not a PART of who they were, it was EVERYTHING of who they were. In modern times, we tend to compartmentalize our lives. We have our work life, our family life, our sports life, our TV life, our internet life, our driving life (Get out of my way slow poke, I'm gonna be late for church!!), and somewhere in there, we squeeze in our spiritual life. We even view the church as a "place to go to do that thing". Christ never meant for us to use our salvation as a coat that we put on and take off at our convenience, being "Sunday Christians" and "Monday Heathens".

To establish a "vibrant identity" in the Church we cannot continue in a culture of minimalism, we must give our all, just as Christ did. We cannot stay the same, we must be, as Paul says in Romans, "transformed by the renewing of [our] minds". We must know who we are and what our purpose in life is. Like Mr. Kelly pointed out, our salvation is an adventure, it is the story of our lives. We were given a quest to preach the Gospel to every nation, and we were given a command, to love each other. How hard is that?

According to Galatians 5:22-24, the fruit of the spirit is LOVE, and out of love comes joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. Joy is love's strength, peace is love's security, long-suffering is love's patience, gentleness is love's conduct, goodness is love's character, faith is love's confidence, meekness is love's humility, and temperance is love's victory. However, backtracking just a few verses (19-21), we find the fruits of the flesh which are immorality, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, rivalry, jealously, outbursts of fury, acts of selfishness, dissension, occasions of envy, drunkenness and the like.

Want to know who you really are? What is your fruit? And that, my friends, is a very loaded question.

Your brother and sister,
Joseph & Frances

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! Great comments, and very challenging.

    We tend to be very sheepish sheep! We minimize, yes but we are also simply shy about sharing. Honestly, the more I do my best to learn about and walk in Catholicism the more boldly energized I become. I have found that over time most of this “shyness” has been replaced by enthusiasm. This transformation virtually demands to be shared!

    I especially liked this sentence on page 37: “It is through prayer, reflection, the Scriptures, the grace of the sacraments, and the guidance of the Church, that we discover and walk the path that God is calling us to walk.” There is the whole thing in a nut shell!

    Later in the paragraph Kelly talks about the task of the Church to be “opening us to the mystery of God”. This is another beautiful point about Catholicism and the genius there in….that of the acceptance of mystery. This is lost in our modern “know it all” information laden culture where complete and total understanding is a prerequisite for belief. In matters of faith it is usually the other way around…belief leads to understanding. The failure to comprehend this is often the fruit of Pride.

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to ask my confirmands "What did you do differently today because you are Catholic?" I haven't looked at that for myself for a long time and now that I have I see great differences that crept up, unannounced, as a result of my relationship with the Eucharistic Lord and His Church.One thing I do differently is TALK about my faith, openly and enthusiastically. Why would I not when it has made such a difference in my life.

    Some things seem to elude me--prayer is still a source of mystery to me, until I have begun to realize that my prayer style is just different. One of the blessings of a Church so rich is that there are many varieties of the fruits that are on full display in the saints and the Saints and fostered by liturgy and sacraments.

    The biggest one for me is peace--real peace that co-exists with the difficulties of the day and transcends them. never had that before and wonder at it daily. God really is here. He really does love me. And He really will stretch out His hand to life me up when I fall for whatever reason...and He does that through the Church in very real ways.

    Not being born into the Church, some days I wonder at my great gift and some days wonder when I will really fell truly Catholic. Then I remember the parable of the vineyard workers--I'm one of those latecomers. THanks be to God that I found my way to the fields, and I must remeber that I do the same work for the same Lord. Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph & Frances has really given of their very souls in their comments on Chapter 4. Being a "cradle" Catholic, I truly am impressed with the long journey converts have taken to become Catholic and the energy they bring to our Church. God made it "easy" for we cradle Catholics. Our Creator made all of us His individual masterpieces and each one of us has a special mission and it is or job to find out what that is and then go do it. Easier said than done. We can't find out what our mission(s)is unless we take the time to visit with our "Best Friend" - our Creator. He alone gives us the grace, the power if you will,the energy to do what His mission is for us a unique mission. God will never ask us to so something we are not able to do with His help.

    ReplyDelete